Daisy Garner '21: (Budget Friendly) Germany-Inspired Holiday Gifts!

Am I preparing for the holidays too early? Probably. (Honestly, holiday shopping serves as a good excuse to really just shop for myself.) But I think creative holiday shopping requires early planning! If you’re shopping for a German studies student this season, or someone like me who misses Germany, look no further for present inspiration! As a college student, I promise I made these recommendations budget friendly. 

1. German Chocolate (deutsche Schokolade)
Maybe I am making this list like my own personal Christmas list, but if someone got me some Cornflakes Ritter Sport this holiday season, I would be more than happy. The butter biscuit Ritter Sport is, in my opinion, the second best option. 

Ritter Sport

There are also tons of fun Kinder chocolate options, like crunchy chocolate hippos, hazelnut and cream bon-bons, and my favorite, an eclectic holiday mix. (I promise I don’t work for Kinder, I’m just really hungry as I’m writing this!)

2. Christmas Pickle (Weihnachtsgurke)
The Christmas pickle is a classic. My family does this tradition almost every holiday season! This tradition is believed to have come from Germany, and here is how it works: the pickle ornament is hidden within a Christmas tree, and whoever finds it first, is supposed to get an extra present! Why a pickle? Who knows! Maybe the appeal is that it doesn’t make sense. Unlike chocolate, this gift will last for years. (I must note, it is debated whether or not this tradition actually comes from Germany, but this is what many Americans believe. On the other hand, a 2016 survey found that only 7% of Germans knew about this tradition. It is likely that this tradition was started by the American ornament-making company, Woolworth.)

Treehugger
3. Personalized Calendar (persönlicher Kalender)
When I lived in Germany, I noticed that personalized calendars were a really common gift to give, especially around New Year’s. People would buy a blank calendar from the store and glue pictures on the page for each month, or they would get one professionally printed. What I like about this gift is that it changes throughout the year, since you get to see new photos, and it lasts a long time! 
Target Photo
4. Herrnhut Star (Herrnhuter Stern)
When I was walking around in Germany on cold winter nights, I always found the Herrnhut stars shining on people’s apartment porches so beautiful. Also known as the Moravian star, these holiday decorations were first produced by the Mother Moravian Community in Saxony, Germany, and it is believed that they were first used in Saxony as a school geometry project. 
My Brilliant Star
5. Gingerbread Heart Ornament (Lebkuchen Herzen)
A classic—the gingerbread-ish cookie ornaments, AKA Lebkuchen Herzen, are often found in Bavaria during Oktoberfest and at Christmas markets. Fun fact, when I lived in Germany, I tried to eat one one of the ornament types (which apparently you can do) but no one does! Another fun fact, it is believed that this type of sweet originated from monks in Germany in the 13th century. 
SwedeBavaria
Have fun shopping!

Comments