Tristan Dunn '23 | Berlin Altered My Taste in Music: 5 Artists

Berlin Altered My Taste in Music: 5 Artists - Tristan Dunn ‘23

Visiting Berlin in the summer of 2022 was a transformative experience. After waiting impatiently for years to make the transatlantic journey, I fulfilled a multitude of goals for the trip, yet I never expected to deepen my love for music so fundamentally. 

Berlin is incessantly described as a capital of techno music and club experiences. From Kraftwerk concerts to the illusive darkrooms of Berghain, the music scene in Berlin has forged new ground for artists, queer people, and culture. I was lucky to attend some of the official, and even underground, events during my stay in the summer. Here is a list of some of the artists and songs I discovered as a result of the visit:

  1. Brutalismus 3000: 


The group is known for their Berlin-based nu gabber post techno punk style and broke into the scene during the pandemic. They truly embody hardcore with the foreboding and heavy weight of brutalism in architecture and with the speed of electronic dance music. My favorite songs come from the Liebe In Zeiten Der Kola album–”Pentagramm,” “Bratislava,” and “Good Girl.”
I highly recommend the Hör Berlin live recording of one of their performances. Hör Berlin is also one of the best resources to find new techno music; they even kept the techno scene alive during the pandemic.

  1. Ski Aggu:


Ski Aggu produces some of the trashiest German party-rap-type-of-music, yet he continues to be one of the most prevalent Berlin-based artists in my playlists. In the aftermath of the age of the SoundCloud rapper, Ski Aggu presents enjoyable music with cool collaborations, such as with Domiziana. 
Some of my favorite songs from him are “Tour de Berlin,” “Party Sahne,” and “Hubba Bubba.” Overall, his collaboration and music video with Domizinia for “Tour de Berlin” is one of my favorites of all time. 

  1. HorsegiirL:


HorsegiirL is an innovator in the realm of hyperpop. She consistently performs with her horse aesthetic and presents creative and fun music that I find to be more than just kitschy. Based in Berlin, she is a Black artist who produces lyrics, such as “I walk, I trot, I lope, I gallop.”
    My favorites include the music video for “Starsiigns,” “My Barn My Rules,” “Harvest Heartbreak,” “Praise The Farm,” “Pegasus,” and “My Little White Pony.” 

  1. Domiziana:

 
Domiziana is another hyperpop artist who is bridging the gap between American hyperpop and Berlin. She tops the charts with “Ohne Benzin,” and she even created a remix of the song in Italian. 
There is not a single song of hers I do not like. I cannot recommend her music enough, especially her video for “Ohne Benzin.”

  1. VTSS:


VTSS presents “[a] dangerous cocktail of sounds blending an EBM sensibility, industrial textures and cranked-up, hair-raising BPMs.” Although she isn’t from Berlin, she has been a staple of my song rotations since I visited the city. I listen to “Body Mind Hell” way too often walking to class. I recommend all of her music. 

Comments